Sunday, October 7, 2007

i'll never, no never, no never forsake!!

i am loving conference this year. it has been a different experience being at the group home but the guys have responded pretty well so far. they actually are kind of excited to sit and listen to the apostles and prophets speak.

when elder bednar spoke, ernest yelled out, "hey! i met him! i asked him for his autograph when he visited our ward!" fantastic. elder bednar's son is in our ward (& in our bishopbric) here & twice a year elder bednar & sis. bednar come & speak. i wonder how often the apostles are asked for their autographs? it is just something that has never crossed my mind before, even if i did ever come face to face with them.

once i heard carrot top yell out in the church hallway, "hi elder bednar!" to elder bednar's son. he was really nice and corrected him, "i'm just brother bednar, elder bednar's my dad."

but anyway, back to conference. we have only been able to listen to today's session so far & will have to catch yesterday's on the internet. i loved president hinckley's talk and his testimony on the book of mormon.

ben was able to go to priesthood last night with his friend troy & they had a great time. it's weird that it's so late here, priesthood session goes from 8-10 pm. ben's tradition is to go out & get icecream with whoever is with him & he called me @ 10:30 saying that they were driving around trying to find someplace open. they eventually stopped at the grocery store and brought some home.

ben is so great, he looooooves conference and looks forward to it for weeks. he loves the morning choir sessions & sings along with the hymns. usually i'm kind of like, yeah it's nice, but don't have the same affection for the mormon tabernacle choir that ben does. i prefer solos, duets, arrangements and that sort of thing. but after today's morning session when the choir was singing "how firm a foundation," i don't know what happened but i just teared up. the spirit was so strong as they sang the words.

How firm a foundation ye saints of the Lord,
Is laid for your faith in His excellent word.
What more can he say, than to you he hath said;
To you, who for refuge to Jesus have fled?

Fear not, I am with thee, oh be not dismayed
For I am thy God, and will still give thee aid.
I strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand.

When through fiery trials thy pathway shall lie,
My grace all-sufficient shall be thy supply.
The flame shall not hurt thee, I only design
Thy dross to consume, and thy gold to refine.

The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose,
I will not, I will not desert to His foes.
That soul, though all Hell should endeavor to shake
I'll never, no never, no never forsake.


just reading through it again makes me cry. these words are so powerful and meaningful to me at this time in my life. just these short two hours of listening to Heavenly Father's messengers and the beautiful music written by inspired people has strengthened my spirit and testimony.

3 comments:

Andrea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrea said...

I can't believe he asked for his autograph! I am dying right now. If anyone deserves that autograph it is me!

The Pyne's said...

Oh lynsey, you are such a sweet person. Yes, I did enjoy conference too, although I do have to admit I fell asleep in the afternoon one, because that's when I normally take my naps. tee hee. Hey, I just wanted to thank you for calling the other night. It was such a fun surprise. After I got off the phone, I ran down the hall and told Lance that it was you and of course he was not as excited as me but was excited for me. So are the boys in the group home LDS or did you just make them watch conference with you and go to church? I'm still not quite sure how this works, because again you know how slow I am. =)
stacey