Monday, February 25, 2008

be wary of the 'advanced level'

today caleb & i were having a very in-depth conversation about different sounds. it started a little something like this:

caleb: "mom, what does an elephant say?"

me:
"hmmm. i don't know. what does an elephant say?"

caleb: "an elephant says....pffffttt! (or however you would write that out)"

so we went through the basics of all the animals. cat, dog, cow, you know. then we moved up to 'intermediate level' where we went through things like sloths & marmosets (thanks diego) & i had to get a little creative with the sounds. who has any idea what a giraffe sounds like? well to us, it sounds like a dying parrot.

anyway then we moved to what i would call 'advanced level' where we made sounds come from things that aren't alive. apparently caleb believes that books make sounds that say "read! read!" and chairs say "sit! sit!" then out of nowhere he throws me a curveball and asks me this:

caleb: "mama, what does a stinky little bum-bum say?" (why is he obsessed with the word stinky?? probably because it makes me laugh everytime)

i cracked up but was curious to hear his answer so i played along.

me: "i don't know. what does a stinky little bum-bum say?"

caleb: "it says toot, toot!"

i was laughing so hard.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh that is HILARIOUS!! I was so anxious to see what his response would be to a stinky bum. He is a clever little guy!

Lindsay Jane said...

I love that kid...the perferct crazy combination of both of you. So funny.

Kris said...

oh wow, that was funny! What a funny kid he is. Where do they get these things from?Thanks for sharing that made my day!

Andrea said...

That picture is perfect. I love it. I want it. I need it! Speaking of people getting their parents personalities...sounds like Caleb got your looks and appreciation of bathroom humor. I already know what I am getting him for his birthday...starts J and ends with adore.

fonsy said...

He is so cute. Your kids and Lauren's kids almost make me want to have kids. ALMOST.

The Thompsons said...

Where did he get his little personality??? :) I can't wait to see him all big and funny!!!

Anonymous said...

I cannot WAIT to hang out with Cabey for 5 whole days! He is a riot, and so clever! I'm comin' Caleb - Auntie Warren is comin'!