Monday, February 18, 2008

tricks are for kids



so like most kids i know, caleb doesn't like to go to bed. we usually have to take him in his room kicking & screaming & then after we've SERIOUSLY threatened no rocking/singing/reading time, he calms down. but it's always a fight. a few nights ago i started a new "smoother bedtime" tactic...having caleb sit on his chair like a big boy & read to me while i sat on the rocking chair. then after a few minutes he would bring the book over & we would read together.

well last night as i was getting him ready for bed, he brushed his teeth & then as i was cleaning up, he disappeared. i went looking all over the place for him & finally heard him calling for me...from his BEDROOM. he NEVER voluntarily goes into his bedroom when it's bedtime. i opened the door and this is what i saw:





he said, "oh mama, there you are! i was waiting and waiting for you. you ready to read a story with me?"

now this is our new bedtime ritual. so far this trick has worked like a charm. a lucky charm. and who says tricks aren't for kids?

2 comments:

Shellee said...

wow! super nanny, will you come and teach my children how to go to bed?? They are 7,6,4,and 2. Heaven help me. Bre is the only one we can actually shut the door to her room, and walk away from. 1 out of 4 ain't bad??

Brandon and Emily said...

Isn't it great when you find out something works. Caleb is so cute. I want him to read books to me at bedtime. I was actually disappointed when there was no hole in the table. They had a foam pad with cut outs for the tummy and "other mommy areas." I always thought the hole would be more fun.