Saturday, April 5, 2008

the bi-annual tradition



today i cried. it happens generally around once every 6 months. right now you're more than welcome to ignore all that stuff i said about "i'm not the type of girl who gets overly emotional" during what is now a 2-day stint with PMS. poor ben. poor caleb. poor me.

it was this morning & i was somewhat stressed out. looking back....um, yep, there really was no reason to be frustrated enough to cry. just a whole lot of things that were not on the schedule for the day, people showing up unannounced, clients coming home early from spring break (i was planning on having one last day to relax before the troops settled in to the house again). and then the clincher was that caleb needs a haircut in the worst way and he was flipping out anytime i would come near him with scissors. the shaggiest area was around his ears & the back of his neck, the part you can't get with clippers. but no matter how much i begged, bribed or coerced, as soon as he caught that shiny glint of metal in his peripheral vision, he lost it.

and for some reason the combination of all of these very minor things conjured up enough hormones for me to let loose. caleb was so confused he didn't know what to do with himself. i literally think it's the first time he's seen actual tears run down my face at breakneck speed. he kept trying to crack jokes, "mama, look at this funny face i'm making." and anything on the t.v. he would just look at me and start to giggle, "oh, that's so silly," he would say repeatedly. sweet little kid.

but the problem with being emotionally constipated is that once you let go, there is no turning back. i know many girls that cry a lot so they have the process down pat. a couple of tears and they're done...and then they start all over again 20 minutes later. but not me. it was like niagra falls had just exploded out of my eye sockets. so finally after fighting it...which only made it worse...i just laid down on the floor and bawled.

but i didn't want caleb to think he had done anything wrong, so while i'm sobbing i'm saying "oh caleb you're such a good boy. i love you so much." and then more reassuring, "you're so smart and funny & you make me so happy." he is going to be completely confused when it comes to emotions. i imagine him falling & getting a bloody nose. screaming in pain but saying, "this is so great! i'm so happy about this!" at the same time. ah, how we screw up our children.

ben came to talk with me after i was through releasing every ounce of salt left in my body. i recovered quite well, he didn't even know i had cried. so i announced it to him. he sat there, astounded. "really? you seriously cried? oh wow." and leaned in a good 6 inches closer to my face...i think searching for any last remnants of tears. unfortunately for him the bawl ship had sailed. you gotta get it while the gettin's good. but you know according to my hormonal clock, i still have one good cry left for '08 & he is with me the majority of the time so i'd say the odds are in his favor.

8 comments:

Ben said...

That's awesome. Jenny cries regularly, so I'm used to it. It's good for you to let go sometimes.

I have linked over to the DHS '98 blog from here. After reading all the posts (What the crap happened? I thought I was doing okay, but, good heavens, if you don't own your own company and/or have changed the world, the class of '98 might disown you), I'm on the fence whether I go or not. There's really only about 10 people I would care to see, and I'm 85% sure that 98% of them aren't going to be there (that stat might not hold up if you guys make it somehow). Let me know if you think you're going to come out for it, and that might swing me over.

MARIE said...

For once I can't remember when I cried last.

Rachel Holloway said...

Crying lots or not, I think we ALL have that BIG CRY in us.

I have never, not EVER in our whole dating, engaged or married life seen Brandon cry. Not at the birth of our children, not on our wedding day..nothing. I know it's in there--but he says he can feel things without letting tears out.

Hmmm...we are definitely different there! :)

Andrea said...

I on the other hand have my tear ducts wired to my lungs...I can barely take a breath without a tear escaping...the tears lose their power when they are flowing all the time.I know the true reason behind those tears. It has to do with male lactation doesn't it?

Mindy and Garry said...

Well...lately I've cried a whole lot more than usual...but I can definately relate to the whole crying thing in front of the kid. Ellie is so compassionate she sits there and tries to rub my arm and says in a very sympathetic voice,"it's ok mamma...don't worry...everything will be ok...etc." Good luck with your choices! It isn't easy deciding what to do! That is way cool that he is thinking of going on with school, but I don't envy the $$$ issue!!!

fonsy said...

WELCOME TO MY WORLD :)

Kris said...

I am one of those "cry all the time" girls and it so happens I did it yesterday :) Some times I wish I were more like you and only cried once or twice a year but I think after reading this story of Niagara Falls my hubby will be more grateful for the all the time "little" cries. I'm glad you got it all out!

Anonymous said...

Sorry I wasn't there to induce the crying - usually that's my job. And sorry I wasn't there to take you out for a chocolate and salt-fest either. I miss you Lyns! I don't care what it takes - move back by us! It will be worth it, I promise! I'll clean your house and babysit your kids and...rub your feet! Feed you grapes! PLEASE!