Thursday, April 3, 2008

i'm just a little black rain cloud...

today has been an "off" day for me. okay let's just say it how it is (thanks dr. phil) & put down those 3 little nasty letters combined into an even nastier acronym. PMS. i am not a girl who gets overly emotional or crazy...i get irritated. and i realize at the end of the day, after i'm going through situations that happened to me...that as much as i would like to blame ben, or caleb, or einstein, or our newest client (for lack of a better name--chester) or the weather, or my hair...for my bad mood, unfortunately, i am the common denominator in the entire group. of course i don't realize this until the day is over & i can't warn anyone who comes within 10 feet of me to steer clear.

ben is really very great to me when i'm on this 30 day rotation. especially when i can recognize it before noon and tell him to basically ignore everything that's coming out of my snotty little mouth. because as much as i would like to control it...for some reason, on these days, i just can't. i know that sounds like an excuse so take it for what you will. but i've realized that it is better to just to keep silent & try to alienate myself than to let my brain communicate my thoughts outloud on black cloud day.

while we were getting ready for bed tonight ben & i were discussing my mood. we came to the conclusion (he sooner than i--probably hours ago but he'd never say it) that i did, in fact, have PMS. then he said:

"you know, i consider myself pretty lucky. i've heard horror stories about PMS where women have major emotional breakdowns & cry all the time or you have to basically pack your bags for a couple of days each month until it's over."

not bad...then

"you're not like that at all. you just get more passionate about things. and more mean."

just what any woman, on PMS day, wants to hear. was that a compliment or an insult? couldn't he have waited a day to tell me that?

8 comments:

Kris said...

oh Ben ben ben! What a loving husband you have to be so "honest". Oh this made me laugh right out loud! I can't picture you being so nasty mean though. I hope your little black rain cloud day is just one day, for your sake and your hubby's too ;) Thanks for the laugh, I needed a good one after my day yesterday.

Rachel Chick said...

I hear ya, sista! I'm like you - I don't sit and boob or turn into a raging lunatic (thank the maker!) but I definitely feel a little "off". Hope today is better!

fonsy said...

Ha Ha. I love that I am not the only one. Tyler just ignores me for a week and doesn't respond to anything I say or do. He'll say "why don't we talk about this next week" which, of course, really gets me going. For awhile I was telling myself that when I was like that I was actually "thinking more clearly" instead of less...good times.

Toby and Tammy said...

Too funny! Just be glad to know that you're not the only one who has it. I don't think men could handle PMS for any amount of time. Your husband is quite funny. Mine just looks at me weird and says things like, "you need to take a little break and calm down...." which then makes me more irritated. oh well!

robin said...

You are lucky that both you & Ben recognize it as a 'temporary' condition. No one told me about it & it wasn't talked about much during the first 15 years of my marriage, so I thought I was losing my mind for a few days each month. Of course, once they did have a name for it, Randy blamed everything on me having PMS, including all his job losses, his ADD, his misadventures. Words of wisdom to husbands everywhere: Mark the dates on your calendars, your PDAs, cells, where ever & make a note to self to be kinder to your wife during those few days; call her that morning & say you'll be bringing dinner home that evening; help with the children & even take "ALL" the children out for a couple of hours or allow her a night out ALL BY HERSELF & you feed, bathe, and bed the children, after which you straighten up the house & do some laundry (don't mix whites & colors & wash on Cold for those of you who might be challenged in this area); send or bring home flowers--every month--you'll go down in history as one of the most thoughtful guys on the planet. Those few kindnesses will be more appreciated than you can imagine--she'll have your back all the rest of the month; you'll be better fed, better appreciated, & better loved! Figure it out--your payoff will be at least 3 times what your investment time is!!! It's more than worth it! To Lynz & the wives: Even though you crave salty & sweet things: STAY AWAY FROM THEM during that time--they just exacerbate your symptoms. To Ben: If you see Lynz eating the above during those dates, whatever you do, don't say anything to her until at least a week later. Good Luck & remember Heavenly Father does have a sense of humor. xoxoxox Mom

Unknown said...

Right there with ya girl! I too get irritated and I feel it coming. But I do like how Ben approached this time. I think it was more a compliment/care for you remark. Hopefully things are better, You always make me laugh and I think you are so brave to even admit to the PMS power! :)

Haiku Amy said...

Yeah, it is a lovely time of the month. I get super irritated at everything and then I get mad. Watch out, wives are on the warpath!
Amers

The Foster Bunch said...

Thank you for the laugh. I am just glad to know that there are others out there going through the same thing. Isn't it wonderful being a woman. I just have a husband that goes out of town, so poor Nakeaden gets most of my unhappiness. Tell Ben he is not alone, every poor defensless husband has to go through it. Hope things arebetter in a few days!!! Thank goodness it doesn't last long.