Wednesday, April 2, 2008

school's in for summer...school's in forEVAH

(a little shout out to alice cooper for the title of this posting)


we've been asked several times what our plans are after we fly out of the cuckoo's nest. and the reason we haven't answered the questions is because.....dum, dum, da, dum

WE DON'T KNOW

what we do know is that we will be taking fantasia's fake hair ponytail with us as a souvenir. but seriously, here is what is on our list of priorities:

#1- ben's doctorate, a PSY-D....to those that don't know what that is, you are welcome to join my boat because i don't know either. but this is what ben has explained to me...it is a PhD in Psychology but is clinical-based rather than research-based (like a normal Psychology PhD is).

pros-calling him DR. STRADER
cons-lots of cash, lots more school...5 years, also we have found out there are not many schools that offer the PSY-D. none in utah, none in NC, only some random places that we are deciding between.

#2-having another child....don't judge me. it's 2nd on the list because this one is not really up to us entirely. but if it were, then there would be a bun in this oven at this moment, set to a lovely 350 degrees. don't worry, this is not a sensitive issue with me. i learned a lot of lessons through caleb that it is in heavenly father's hands & will happen when/if it's supposed to. so i'm not stressing a bit. i am also supposed to wait for my sister-in-law carrie to let me know when she's expecting so that i can win the bet.

SOLUTIONS/IDEAS:

#1-phoenix: there is a great school that ben could get accepted to NOW for his PSY-D & be done in 5 years.
pro: wouldn't have to wait until next jan. to apply, waiting to find out until next april where we are going. also a couple fantastic friends in the area, a major bonus!
con: i hate heat. and also a WHOPPING $90,000+ for school...waaaay more expensive than a state school, but then again, we'd be done a year and a half sooner. WHAT DO WE DO??

#2-we all know how to fix this problem. get your minds out of the gutter.

okay so this is long enough to make anyone snore right now. but you asked, so there it is. it's been tough because we had a major gameplan & ben had already been accepted to an online doctorate program we were excited about, only to find out it wasn't accredited with the APA so it would be a waste of time & cash. so we had to rearrange some stuff. ben's also been offered another position with our current company....they know we don't want to stay in this job but want us to stick around the area. but at this point it's not high up there because of the school issue.

any advice besides some hefty praying?

8 comments:

Kris said...

so this comment has nothing to do with this post although I did enjoy reading this one.
But I wanted to tell you that I know you have the site tracker and you probably check it often and then I came to realize you probably look at it and see that I am on here some times for a long time and I'll tell you why. I love your music on here and so I just open your blog and leave it open for an hour or so while cleaning my house and listen to your selection of music. I'm not a huge fan of music on blogs mostly because I don't like a whole lot of what many people listen to but I have always loved your choice in songs, you have good taste in music! I thought that is a good compliment and I should share it with you and that I should tell you why I'm on here some times for so long:) I hope you don't mind!

Rachel Chick said...

hey hey! It was SO great to talk to you guys last night!!! It's been SO long! I'm glad that you guys are doing well! Just remember, no matter how far you are from us, you'll always be butt-hoiles to us!!!

Ben said...

No advice, but I rock this song on Guitar Hero!

Toby and Tammy said...

good luck is all I can think of. I agree with K. I love your music!

robin said...

Remember: Indecision is a decision!!

Come Home!--xoxoxoxo Mom

Andrea said...

My vote is for ARIZONA!!! A cake a day...I promise!

Shellee said...

Good luck! When do you have to figure this out by???? Thats a whole lotta school. I feel like you should be earning some sort of honorary degree in the process.

Rachel Holloway said...

$90,000 for the entire 5 years? That's pocket change!! JK...if it makes you feel ANY better (which it probably won't, but I will try) Brandon's 4 years of school is over $100,000 and THEN he has a 3 year residency. :) We're in for the long haul too...(sigh...double sigh...I think I will be 40 before we actually get to own a house).

Good luck. Just know that as you take a step towards the decision you DO make, things willl either fall into place and be right or they will come against you and you will know what else you should do.