Friday, May 9, 2008

my near death experience

tonight was an event i will never forget & one i hope to look back on & laugh when i remember. fantasia's been struggling the past few days & has been trying to earn back the privilege to go home for a few hours on sunday. don't get me wrong, ben & i would LOVE (colored to emphasize just how much we would love it) to be able to go to church on our own on sunday but we want to make sure that the kids have earned it, that we're not just being selfish.

so anyway, carmella, ernest, fantasia & myself were sitting at the kitchen table. as fantasia was going through some consequences she earned for not following directions she began to get upset & yell at carmella. SHUT UP! SHUT UP! LEAVE ME ALONE! SHUT UP! i was sitting in between the two of them but kept silent (that is usually the best thing to do with this girl or she continues to escalate). but each time she yelled the words SHUT UP at carmella she pushed the chair next to me into my knee. at first there was just a slight pressure, then it became hard. i sat still, not giving her a reaction. when it got to the point that it hurt, i stood up but was pinned between carmella's chair & fantasia's. i tried to stay calm & told her firmly she needed to remove herself & take some time to go & calm down. then she started screaming at me. and so, i will admit it, i yelled. GO TAKE SOME TIME! START ACTING LIKE A MATURE 11-YR OLD GIRL & REMOVE YOURSELF. she then stood up and started shoving the chair at me as hard as she could.

and this...was when...i saw my life flash before my eyes. i could see the fury in her face & i thought for a moment that i could actually see all of the creative ways she wanted to kill me. and my thoughts turned to my training on different type of restraint moves and whether or not i thought i could actually pull it off & take this girl down. (i wasn't too confident in my abilities)

after what felt like a millennium i was able to move around carmella & free myself of the repeated chair shoving. fantasia blurted out a stream of exciting words & put her shoes on. whenever the clients go outside angry, we have to follow them, but keep a good distance. so that's what i did. instead of running away like i had thought, she actually started to climb a tree. and as she was climbing she began to carry on a two-sided conversation. "don't you f***in' tell me how to climb a tree, you b***h. i'm gonna f***in' kill myself, jump out of this f****in' tree. don't you try to talk me out of it, b***h. i don't care what you say." i had been silent the entire time, standing a good 30 feet away from her, acting uninterested in what she was doing. still not quite sure who she was talking to. probably don't want to know.

i went inside after a good 10 minutes & after about 45 more...she came through the front door. cut to one hour later she is sobbing "I'M SO SORRY, PLEASE FORGIVE ME, I LOVE YOU" & bawling on my shoulder. that is the difficult thing about her. she can be so completely rotten one moment & then feel true remorse & apologize the next moment & my heart just breaks open for her. i told her that i had already forgiven her, that she is still a good person, that i still believe in her. and i "glazed" (ben's version of tearing up) just a bit for this 11 year old who started out with a really rough childhood that we are now trying to correct.

that doesn't mean though, that i am not thinking up some ideas for a new t-shirt. the front will read something like this, "i survived a few minutes with an angry, bipolar 11-year old fantasia." and the back will read, "barely."

10 comments:

Rachel Chick said...

you are my hero, lyns! :) you are so brave! i can't imagine the lives these poor children have led. how difficult to overcome the lessons they learned as little children. bless you for iterally putting your life on the line to bless their lives in ways that you will probably never even be able to see, but nonetheless, still will have an eternal impact on them.

Andrea said...

Your a Sur-vivah! I wrote a whole song to Survivor but I don't want to humiliate myself in the comments of you blog so...
Awesome Lynsey...seriously you are!

The Foster Bunch said...

Lyns, your life is just way to interesting. I have to honestly say everytime I read your blog, I am in a constant laugh, and feeling so bad for you. You guys are awesome to put up with the things that you do. I could never do it. I hope you have a great mother's day, and you can spend it with just Ben and Caleb.

Mindy and Garry said...

Oh man! You're experiences are not for the faint of heart. I'm sure you've learned some things there that will stick with you forever! I do enjoy reading your stories! I wish my stories on my blog were half as exciting! Good luck with everything there! Love ya!

campblondie said...

Zoiks! That took some gumtion my friend. Ladies and Gentlemen, Mrs. Lynsey Strader. (Applause)

The Pyne's said...

Wow lynsey!! You go girl. That is why you are doing this and not me. I would have beat her before she had the opportunity to even say she was sorry. So I haven't been on for awhile so I apologize if I don't leave lots of comments, which makes me think, how do you get to all your blog links, you have like a million?!?! It's just because you are soooooo POPULAR. So I never heard back from you after you left and message and than I left a message, so if you still need to recipe for the homemade wipes here they are:

BABY WIPES:

1 big bounty paper towel roll cut in half

2-1/4 c. water
2 T. baby lotion
1 T. baby bath
1 T. baby oil

Combine all, heat until lotion dissolves, just before it boils.

Pour into tupperware, add paper towels, put lid on. Let stand until wet/soaked. Remove inner cardboard.


That's all....so now in return, I need the directions to changing my blog.

And I need to some advice/help on being more positive!!!! If we really do move, which we probably really are, I don't know how to make friends like you do lynsey. You are just always so sweet, kind, funny, positive, always know what to say, etc. Any tips for me?

Let us know when you think you guys are done/moving, because we should be out there the middle of July if all goes well. Or if you really wanted to drive out to NY the end of MAy they are flying us out to make a "desicion trip", so wish us luck and let us know if you'll be out that way. Ha Ha

Mick and Tiff said...

Lynsey,
You are so great to put up with all this stuff. You are so patience it amazes me. I need you to teach me a tip or two. Happy Mother's Day! You deserve it.

Toby and Tammy said...

Wow, what a crazy day. I am amazed at how calm you guys are and what postive outlooks you guys have for these kids. They are blessed because of you!
glad you weren't hurt too.

Rachel Holloway said...

WOW! That is some intense stuff goin' on there this weekend! Since this comment is AFTER mother's day, I am really glad that all worked out for you...that no trees were climbed, barbecues thrown, or other misc property destroyed...

And a side note, I just got thinking--aren't you SO GLAD you aren't pregnant right now (during your NC stint) ???? Ya---pregnant woman hormones + bipolar craziness....

Couldn't be good.

sarahbellac said...

yeah I really think you should be making that t-shirt! Holy Moses. You're incredible. Glad you're still alive, too.