Thursday, May 1, 2008

you just can't make this stuff up...

so chester, our newest & least-mentioned client was suspended today for punching another student in the eye. first offense, ISS. second offense (which today was), suspended until TUESDAY. for crying out loud. but we're sitting at the dinner table & i overhear part of a conversation between ernest & chester. i ask him to start from the beginning:

chester: "as i was sitting in the office waiting for you guys to pick me up, the police officer was sitting there with me. he asked who i lived with & the names of who would be picking me up. i said, "i live with ben & lynsey." he got a funny look on his face. then he said, "ben & lynsey? do you live with a kid who tried to hold the principal hostage with a stapler?" and i answered him, "oh, do you mean carrot top (used his real name of course)?" and he said, "yeah! that's him!" but i told him that he doesn't live here anymore."

oh. my. good. NESS. above all else, this my friends, is why you write a blog (or at least keep a journal). ben & i totally had spaced...or blocked out...that incident. back in aug, in our pre-blogging days, in a total of 48 hours:

-carrot top attempted to kill the principal with a stapler...while already handcuffed (not the brightest weed in the patch) & was expelled from that school for the rest of his life

-homeboy (don't know who he is? refer you back to our very first post, 9/07) & his compadre beat up ernest

-homeboy got caught stealing a teacher's ipod. he then came home, & started lighting cigarettes on the stove & coerced carrot top to smoke them with him (i ended up having to pull out the stove & unplug it).

-ernest took a 6 inch knife from his father's collection to school with him (& actally ADMITTED it was to seek revenge on homeboy & his friend for the previous day's actions) & was caught & expelled forever from the very same school carrot top had been banished from the day before.

-homeboy ran away & didn't resurface for 3 months. (for the record i want you to know that i knew where he was after 2 days of him missing. but the cops sat on their rears...even when he was found breaking in cars & stealing stereos. they have bigger fish to fry in durham county. but my detective work would make columbo proud.)

-carrot top did $5,000 worth of damage to the house & group home van with a crutch.

-ben had to restrain carrot top for 20 mins. until the cops finally took him away & he went to jail for the night.

-ernest climbed up on the roof, bawling about being expelled from school. only ben could talk him down. (he idolizes ben)

when i think about how far we've come since those days i am truly amazed. it's not that those things don't happen anymore (enter chester & fantasia today) but i remember being so completely traumatized after those two days that i thought i would never recover. and here i am. still standing. thicker skinned. but not all has changed. i'm still counting down how much time we have left in fast sundays (ONLY TWO AFTER THIS SUNDAY). and still writing blogs that are too dang long. those people that can get their points across in just a few short sentences? my heroes, yep. ah well. ramble on.

9 comments:

Kris said...

holy cow that is some crazy stuff to put up with or go through or whatever. I can't believe you didn't just walk out, you are definitely tougher skinned than me.
Oh and I am one of the ramblers too. I wish I could make my posts shorter, every time I it never works out, I think of more to say. I don't mind reading long posts because I'm the type to put long ones up.

Rachel Holloway said...

Wow--this will certainly be a year to remember! :) (or to forget???)

And I love your blog no matter how long it is! You are so creative!! :)

Rachel Chick said...

Where are my friends Ben and Lynsey Strader??? THIS can't be THEIR lives, can it???? Hello! Lynsey?? Are you still in there!? Oh! There you are - you're different!! :) Wow! What a year of growing! We all get it in different ways, don't we? You're doing fabulous! Keep up the . . . unplugging of the stove? :) Can't wait to see you guys again!

Ben said...

You guys are truly something. I would have packed it in with all that going on. As for rambling on...look at me. I can't even leave a short but to-the-point comments. I'm not good at abbreviating.

Toby and Tammy said...

Oh the craziness you guys deal with everyday! I love your post title, there's no way you could make this stuff up. So glad you're keeping a blog/journal of your insane adventures!

The Thompsons said...

AHHHH! I don't know how you handled that!! But...oh the memories you are making!! I don't even know what you are doing when you leave....What are you doing????

Haiku Amy said...

Wow, that is some crazy stuff, I didn't even know you could try to kill someone with a stapler. Who would have thought?

Anonymous said...

I hope you'll go back and read my "Lynsey is the bestest" blog post whenever you're feeling run-down. I'm gonna start calling you Elder and Sister Strader because I really feel like you are serving a mission in so many ways. One of the "Compassionate Service" missions. You are spreading you Christ-like example far and wide.

Andrea said...

Hello! Wow that is some crazy business...you left out a few of my personal favorites. Seriously you are going to have the BEST stories to tell your kids(which you better get crackin on)You're my HERO!