Saturday, May 31, 2008

to those with skills, i tip my hair to you.

i probably should be blogging about how fantasia came back from the hospital on monday under much duress.

how she jammed her finger up her nose repeatedly to make it bleed so that then she could bleed all over herself in hopes of
convincing the hospital staff that she wasn't yet "ready" to come back.

how this week has been one day after the next of fighting her. or about how i'm pretty sure those
auditors want to shut down this home, though i can't figure out why because seriously (and i'm not just saying this), as far as group homes go, we are a fantastic one.

or i should write about how i am
astounded each time that one of these kids can look me straight in the face without blinking or hesitating and lie to me. i just can't get over that.

now i am no stranger to lying, believe you me. i told some
whoppers to get out of stuff way back when. so to you, mom and dad, here is my formal apology.

i am sorry that i lied to you.


let's not go into details
about what, but just know i am asking for forgiveness. i think there is an age (from 11-17 comes to mind) where if you let it, your conscience will disappear. each of our clients has gone to the dark side and i am hoping that they will creep their slimy, manipulative little ways back over to hang out with yoda & princess leia (ben & i :) for a while.

stop lying you must.

or i could blog about how we
STILL don't have a real answer as to where we are going & what we are doing with our lives.

and how i am already packing up--
gettin' trunky--but am beginning to hyperventilate when i think about how unprepared we are to move to....wherever we are going. that in itself brings out the anxiety disorder that i have to continually silence & tell to "live in the now" so as not to go buck wild and start really freaking out about our non-plans.
but instead i have focused my thoughts on a much more
unimportant matter.

for the last
45 minutes i have once again attempted to use a round brush while blow drying my hair. what is with the flipping round brush?? how can the girl at the salon make it look so easy?

and i purchase a high-end one,
set my jaw in determination to master the skill and instead end up clumsily twisting and tugging, pulling and wincing my way through a very frizzy & disheveled looking mop.

"well if you aren't great with a round brush, " she says
naively to me, "just get out of the shower & pull your hair back in a loose bun & go to bed with it wet."

oh you sweet, sweet girl. for how
good you are at putting in highlights & styling, you have been fooled.

i have tried the bun technique, only to wake up with so many
kinks that even the hottest & strongest straightener can't fix.

i have tried the non-bun, just going to bed with
wet hair technique. that morning i am sure i scared ben as i stumbled into the bathroom to look in the mirror and see the cowardly lion stare back at me.

i had to
fight the urge to walk back out & ask ben for some c-c-c-courage.




i feel like i have tried it
all.

hot rollers, velcro rollers, curling irons, straighteners, you name it. but i end up going back to the
same old routine of wash, blow dry, then use some other type of heating device because the "natural" look just isn't workin'.

she tells me that i have
extremely dry hair.

i am shocked because i am living in such a humid place & to me, my frizziness says the exact
opposite of "extremely dry." but on this account it turns out she is right. i have switched from "glistening perfection" to "extreme moisturizing" conditioner & i do see a difference there. (so, ahem, maybe she does know what she is talking about)

so
to you who can actually use a round brush without getting it wound up & stuck in your hair 20 times, i applaud you.

it is a true talent.

forget unicycle riding, juggling, or tightrope routines. the round brush deserves a
ring in the circus that is all its own.

don't think this lady is
done trying though.

oh, no. she is not.

10 comments:

cortney and neil said...

Linds,
All I can say is you are the funniest girl I know, and I hate the round brush as bad as you.

Rachel Holloway said...

That is SO funny you wrote this, because I too battled the brush for a long time. On vacation last week I left my curling iron at my in-laws house and was forced to face my issues with the round brush since I had no other fallback. And no more than 2 days after getting my curling iron BACK, did I leave it in our hotel room before we took a LONG flight home...once again, stranded with no curling iron/crutch. BACK to drying my hair with a round brush...

HOWEVER, I think I have now "gotten" it...not MASTERED it, but gotten it--

Andrea said...

I HATE the round brush...it always rips all my hair out. The ladies at the salon always make my hair look great...then I try and we end up with Medusa!!

Lindsay Jane said...

I agree with all of you about the round brush. Sounds like I know what our next enrichment activity should be. Come on, this is a very valuable life skill that we are all lacking.

Shellee said...

I can do the round brush- on my own hair. because, my hair is like four inches long. I think it is the length of your hair that makes it so difficult. Whenever I try to round brush bre's hair, I usually give up, and just pull out the good ol' chi. And, I also don't do humidity. So, I think you'll just have to wait until you move to get your fabulous hair back. Let me state for the record though- your hair always looks great in pictures.

Anonymous said...

I seriously think this post is the start of your stand-up-comedy career! I can see you, years from now, up on stage miming the attempt to round brush, then the attempt to detangle said brush from your lovely long hair. For real - I laughed til I cried at the Cowardly Lion bit. You so clevah!

Rachel Chick said...

So awesome!!! And to the gal who mentioned it might be the LENGTH . . . this is not true. I've tried when I've had short, I've tried when I've had long. When you're a clumsy idiot, you are always. Keep up the attempts! I've never mastered it in all my years! However, your hair seems a little similar to mine (trust me, I've seen the lion many a morning) and I've found bumble and bumble products to be the best in the whole entire world!!! It amazed me how much difference high quality shampoo and conditioner could do for my hair! If you're ever interested in trying out a new brand - they are FANTASTIC!!! And that's my little plug for the day. --- By the way, I think your hair always looks incredible!

robin said...

Hi Lynz,
I do not like to leave comments on your blog, but . . .

First, Stop Lying YOU Must! reminds me of what goes around, comes around & DAHLING, you were good, so it's coming your way now! Wait until sweet little Caleb has YOU chasing a college professor! So sorry, but Karma is a parent's thank you for trying so hard to raise honest, upstanding children. Enough said!
Next, on to more important matters. I bought an expensive round brush & it ripped every hair out of my head. Buy a fake, inexpensive one & practice. It may still be more difficult with the humidity & your length, but the plastic bristles do not grab your real hair & pull it out.
Love you Lynz!

S and RA Beazer said...

I just don't understand, this coming from some one who has hair that is so thin it doesn't hardly do anything. So a round brush would be a joke only because it wouldn't make a difference any way. We miss you guys. Looking forward to you moving back this way.

Mick and Tiff said...

Lynsey,
Only you can write a post about round brushing and make me laugh for hours. You are so good at writing! I am sorry for you struggles with the kids and audit people and everything. I agree with you on the lying. I also look back at some of the things I did as a child and think "what possessed me to ever think that was okay?" (like writing me and my bf's name in the neighbors newly poured cement....oops!)