Sunday, March 9, 2008

.....for they shall obtain mercy....

so i promised myself last sunday that i would post about the amazing lesson in relief society that was given on mercy. we had such a fantastic discussion about it & made me think more deeply about the responsibility we have, as human beings, to be merciful. (i think it's going to be lengthy just to prepare you)

there have been many times in my life when i have needed mercy. when i have been late for work...not turned in a homework assignment...too quick to judge another person...unnecessarily angry...too quick to criticize...the list could go on and on. and when i have asked for this mercy, when someone has granted it, a small part of me has been changed. because i have felt that possibility of rejection or the word "no" or the chance that i may not be forgiven. but when instead, i am faced with the mercy from another person when i probably don't deserve it, it causes me to want to do the same for someone else.

right now, particularly in this job, my role has changed. i am not the one asking for mercy, i am the one who is required to be merciful. when one of the kids calls me a horrible name, or threatens the life of my husband or my child. when the furniture is turned upside down & screams are heard throughout the household or when the police have to be called. i have realized that i have a choice. i can allow the "natural man" to take over & let a little piece of my heart become stone. i can close off & justify it by saying "they were given their chance." or i can show mercy...forgive...and teach.

i think about the story of the adulterous woman who knelt at jesus' feet. obviously jesus didn't condone adultery. but the woman had asked for mercy & forgiveness & it was granted to her. and then, afterward, jesus taught the pharisees. through the teaching, the hope is that there will be a change.

as humans we are so quick to "justify" ourselves. "well she said this about me and so i was justified in saying this about her." "well that man made a mistake and so i was justified in being angry & telling him off." i know i've felt this way so many times. but what gives us the right to be the justifier? isn't that supposed to be god's job? we live in a world where lawsuits are a norm. where divorces are messy. where you teach people how to treat you. but what are we teaching them? eye for an eye?

so what is the difference between "justice" and "mercy"? that is a question that has been going through my mind since sunday. i haven't come up with a great answer yet. but i do believe this: to ask for mercy & then to grant mercy requires both people to have humility. the first being humble enough to ask for forgiveness. the second to be humble enough to put their pride or hurt feelings or offenses to the side and forgive...many times instead of seeking justice. another difference i see: with mercy there is always love involved.

so when is enough...enough? during the lesson i kept seeing carrot top's face floating in front of me & i had to question my intentions for the decision that he needed to leave the home (it was a group decision). was it because i needed a break? because we all needed a break? was it because i thought we couldn't help him anymore? or was it really because i wanted him to face justice? to finally face consequences for his actions?

i write about these experiences we go through here & try to make them light & funny. because at the end of the day that is what you have to do in order to get up in the morning & deal with the kids again. but the truth of it is, carrot top made this house hell. you never knew when he would get upset & most of the time...it was over nothing. then you would talk sweetly, try to coerce, try to be funny, try to distract, try to ignore, try to teach. and the whole time his actions are the equivalent of spitting in your face. much of the time i was locked upstairs with caleb. poor ben had to deal with him. since carrot top has been gone, it is like this huge dark cloud has been lifted & all of us can breathe again. that isn't to say that the other kids don't have problems...just in comparison to him, their issues are like a nice bowl of icecream.

but then...we read carrot top's file again. we know he comes from a long history of abuse and mental illness. things you only read about in disturbing books or see on the lifetime channel. i can't go into more details but even after all of these months of living with this nightmare of a 16-yr old, my eyes fill up with tears when i think of what he has been through. because i knew somewhere deep down is a scared little boy who grew up in unimaginable circumstances. i look at caleb and think "what if someone were doing that to him?" the thought makes me literally sick to my stomach. and i know that right now, what carrot top needs is mercy.

"blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy."
matt. 5:7. doesn't this mean that at the end of it all, when we are at the judgement bar, or the pearly gates (or whatever you may believe) that what mercy we have shown while here in this life, we will be shown when it is most important?

i do not know what will happen to him. i do know that it is no longer in our hands. but carrot top has been the one who has brought me to my knees on so many occasions this year, begging my heavenly father to soften my heart so that i can be merciful just once more. and that to me is what is at the heart of mercy. humility. forgiveness. and above all, love. to see someone as god sees them. i have not been perfect in this, not even close. but i have been taught. and more importantly, i have changed. even dealing with my own child. and i hope that at the end of it all, i will be more merciful.

8 comments:

Rachel Chick said...

it breaks my heart, Lynsey, to think of this poor boy. The work you are doing there is so important. To even give these children a glimpse of the love that God has for each of them is SO priceless. It certainly gives you perspective on the importance of families - doesn't it? To give those children a glimpse of normalcy and love - it's truly a gift that you are giving them - and a gift to you as well. What wonderful lessons the Lord, in his mercy, is teaching you. Thank you for sharing your insights with us. We love you all so much, we miss you. I know the Lord so appreciates the love that you give to those children each and every day - or minute.

Andrea said...

Thank you Lynsey...what a great message for me to read today. I think Carrot Top' life teaches a lot of lessons. One thing I keep thinking- how important and valuable one soul is to Heavenly Father...that one person can have a huge impact for good or bad, to uplift a home or make it hell- that one person can literally change the course of a child's life for good(as in what you and Ben are doing) or for bad (as in Carrot Tops childhood)
Thank you for doing it. Really, I mean that-from a girl who wasn't necessarily in Carrot Tops position but who was tossed around a lot as a child I still tear up when I think of the impact of good men and women like you and Ben- they literally changed my life forever!

Haiku Amy said...

Thanks for that Lynsey,

I don't get to Relief Society much, because I am in the Primary now. So it is good to get a little bit of inspiration every now and then. I sure you will be blessed for all your efforts with those kids. It sure makes me want to think about how I treat the people (especially the kids) in my life. Thanks for being so wonderful.
Amers

Melyni + Alma said...

You guys are amazing!! I was reading your previous post too and can't believe you actually have those kinds of experiences. Although funny and a little frightening, I don't think I could handle them as well as you guys do. Especially the experiance with the kid shouting those things out in Burger King....
I wanted to tell you that the actor that plays Ben from Lost was on The View and he told them that a lady came up to him on the street and said that she hated him and she wouldn't watch the show anymore because of him. He is a creepy guy! It's going to be interesting to find out what he is up to now. I'm still thinking about syid's future, when he gets shot and goes to the like a vets office and Ben is there.
As for Jack and Juliette? I'm not sure what I think about it? Since in Jack's future, he is still in love with Kate.

S and RA Beazer said...

what can I say, you and Ben deal with so much. You are and inspiration to us who go through life with a hangnail being the only major crisis. There are not a lot of people who can do what you do. I am sure they sent certain kids to your home becuse you have something to offer that a lot of people couldn't. and a special thanks for this lesson on Mercy. We could all be merciful. we love Ben and Lynsay so much. Thanks for being our friends.

Toby and Tammy said...

What a wonderful post. I have loved listening to the crazy stories about the kids, and forget what a tough job you and Ben have. What a great example of justice and mercy. Very uplifting and made me think about my own life. I agree with you-we can't expect to have mercy unless we are willing to be merciful. Also, we have to let the Lord be the judge and to deliver justice where He sees fit, not where we see fit.
Thanks for the great post!

robin said...

Amen. xoxoxo Mom

The Foster Bunch said...

Lynsey,
Thanks for sharing that,as I sat and read this it truly does make me greatful for the belief that I have in a loving Father in Heaven. Without his help in our lives, whatever the circumstance maybe I can not imagine handling it without his help. I know you and ben, and even little caleb will be blessed for that little ray of sunshine you are bringing into those children's lives. They might not be greatful now, but hopefully someday they will be. You guys are the greatest for doing the job you do. Good luck in the next few months you have left. Hopefully it will be good!!