Sunday, March 23, 2008

happy easter



I know I am not the person who normally posts from benseyleb land, but I wanted to write a little bit about what happened this evening. It was Easter today and probably like most of you we spent a good portion of the day coloring eggs, eating, and hunting for candy. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

As we were rocking tonight before bed, I asked Caleb what he had done today. He spoke about the toys in nursery, the Easter eggs in the yard, and his new favorite toy, the flyswatter. Then I asked him about why we have Easter. He said, “I don’t know dad.” I told him that it was a day that we think about Jesus. He smiled the same smile that he smiles every time we talk about Jesus.

I then asked him “Who is Jesus?”

His response was, "He’s our family.”

Taken back I said, “He is our family, he is our brother.”

Next question I asked him, “What does he look like?”

Answer, “He is big.” “You are right,” I said. He then talked about how we see his pictures at church and in our house.

“Does Jesus love you?”
“Yes!” Caleb yelled.
I tried my best to explain what makes easter so special. I explained that Jesus was hurt and that he died. I tried to get on a 2-year old level. I said that his friends put him in a cave and because he loves us he came back.

Caleb said “Yeah.”
I continued, “Jesus is watching you and loves you. Do heavenly father and Jesus hear us when we pray?”
“No," he answered.
“They do hear us when we pray,” I said.
“Ohhhhh.” Caleb then looked at me and said, “Heavenly Father…I thank a blessings…in a name a Jesus Christ, amen.”
I really didn’t know what to say at that point, but my heart was very full. Caleb just smiled. We said our nightly prayers and I laid him in bed.

I would like to agree with the testimony of a two and a half year old. Jesus is my “big brother”. I hope that I will do all that I can to worship him not only in church, but my home as well. I know with all of my heart that he loves me and hears the prayers that I say in his name. Today I celebrate his victory over sin and death. He watches me, he loves me, and stands with arms wide open to welcome me home. I want to commit this Easter to study his words and do my best to be more like him. To close my thoughts I would like to quote my son, “in a name a Jesus Christ, amen.” Happy Easter and God bless.
-Ben of "Bensey"


“and Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them into babes.” (Matthew 11:25)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post - I had a hard time keeping focused on the true meaning of Easter this year, so thanks for the reminder and for sharing your testimony. Love ya Ben!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post - I had a hard time keeping focused on the true meaning of Easter this year, so thanks for the reminder and for sharing your testimony. Love ya Ben!

Andrea said...

Very nice Ben...you should post more often. I can already see the seminary teacher in little Caleb!

Anonymous said...

Ditto! What a beautiful testimony for both you & Mr. C. I love you & your sweet, honest spirit!