Thursday, March 20, 2008

protecting our pelts

okay so after much thought & deliberation....we too are going to be making our blog private in a few days. it is a sad day when we have to protect ourselves from the crazies that roam the net but that day has come. and here is why:

1) my friend bryn's comment on my last posting about why she went private...protecting her kids from sick-o's. apparently there has been a TV show about crazy things that can happen.

2) a conversation i had tonight with my co-worker angel. i asked her why she thought it would be a good reason and she said something to the tune of this:

"well, if you think about it, someone comes across your blog, see that you're cute, or your husband is cute, or your children are cute. they can read things about you for months & basically get to know you. they can get your url from your site. then from your url they can fairly easily get your location. if they know your name, city & state, they can find your address. they know what your family & friends look like & what their names are...." (she is saying this totally casually by the way, as my armpits start to perspire & my eyes widen to about the size of golf balls)

and i finished it up by saying,

"the next thing you know, MY SKIN PELT IS HANGING ON THEIR MANTLE!!" (if you are lost about the skin pelt comment, look back into my december blogs & you will read about the reference)

so i am sorry because one of my favorite things to do when i am bored is read random strangers' blogs & then come upon a really clever one & veg out for a while. (not that mine is super fantastic or anything, i just think right now we live in a not-so-normal situation that provides mild entertainment) also it's given a whole new meaning to the 6 degrees theory. i have seen so many of my friends linked to other friends who i know in a totally unconnected way. and i have been able to find my friends through other people.

that said, please please keep in touch! leave a comment w/ your email address if you are interested in being invited to the now private lives of the straders & the crazies. :)

ps-this is the time for the true closet bloggers to come on out and announce themselves!! don't be shy!

27 comments:

Me said...

Well after scaring the heck out of me... um, here's my email address so I can keep reading your funniness (that corndog one made me laugh out loud). erilar@juno.com
oh yeah and Andrea WAS in my ward in Rexburg, small world! I didn't know her very well, okay, at all, but I checked out her blog.
To Andrea if you read this: I checked out your blog! I lived above you at Carousel Court. All I remember is one day your husband (not at the time!) made you breakfast or something and all my roommates and I were like awwwww!!! okay this is way too long.

Marc Gilchrist said...

Email me an invite to your blog! We'll probaby make ours private sometime too but I'm with you in that I love finding people and reconnecting-which you can't do if they're blog is private but such is the world we live in I guess.
brookegilchrist@hotmail.com

Haiku Amy said...

You make a very valid point. Man, how come those crazies just can't leave us normals alone?

amersmiller@gmail.com

Rachel Holloway said...

oh man, you're kidding right?? Alright...I spose you have no choice...

hollowayfam(at)yahoo(dot)com

Kris said...

Okay I can kind of understand the going private thing but I think I just can't live life like that all the time and get too paranoid. Maybe if I lived in a city with a higher crime rate I would be more paranoid. I'm not saying you shouldn't go private that's your choice and I respect that but let me just say, this is the way life is, it is just as easy for some creepo to see you at the mall and think you are cute or your kid(s) are cute, then follow you home find out where you live and stalk you etc. etc. and the whole skin pelt thing to follow but are you going to stop going to the mall or the store or the movies? You get my point.

Any way the only other bummer thing about my friends that are private is that I don't check theirs as often and let me tell you why... I use google reader to check all my blogs I love it! All my friends blogs are in one spot and it's fast and easy and I need that in my life with two kids. any way the ones that are private I can't use google reader for theirs so I don't check theirs as often. I still love you and will still check yours often though because I LOVE reading about your fun adventures so include me in please! kristinharker@gmail.com
Maybe you could use code names for you, your hubby and your kiddo or maybe that is lame. sorry for the novel!

lynsey said...

hmmmmm...code names? that's something to consider, i heard about someone else doing that. i'll think about it.

Andrea said...

Ok well I would like to be invited to the new private blog. I get it...I am not doing it mostly because most of my family who check the blog are DEFINITRLY not technologically savy enough to figure out how to get an account and things of that nature - you have my email address right?

Jill said...

sign me up! i love reading your crazy stories. jebarnes1228@gmail.com

Jules said...

parjulessmitty@hotmail.com
I enjoy reading your posts! You are so clever and Parker and I have to laugh at you most of the time!!

Toby and Tammy said...

Too bad we have too many crazy people! So glad to have found your blog from Kristen's. You bring humor to our home everytime we read your blog. So, even though I was a blog stalker....be sure to add my e-mail to your list please! I would be so sad if I couldn't read your stories!
tobyandtammythornton@hotmail.com

Lindsay Jane said...

keep me in the loop sista'

lindsayjanelyman@hotmail.com

MARIE said...

marieb52@gmail.com.
Of course I want to be on the listy loo.

Brandon and Emily said...

Add me too. You have my email. If not let me know.

Marci Ward said...

Hey... I have to admit I have been checking out your blog...link from Bryn...anyway, how are you guys! Ours is private too, so if you want to sneak a peek let me know. And if we are on the approved list my email is marciward22@yahoo.com

Renee said...

Chippie...don't forget to add Kel & I! :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I had to delete the way I wrote my email address sorry. Anyway this is Jen and I want to be invited to read all about your funny stories our email is ltl.lefty(at)gmail(dot)com Thanks

Debbie said...

Lindsey - link me if you don't mind. I love reading your blog. I found it through Tammy Thornton (she is my daughter and I also knew Kristen Weathers when she grew up in WA) I laugh about your stories. Tammy just convinced me to start my own blog and I naively look at blogs as a way to stay in touch with far away family and friends. But I am like you and have innocently surfed several stranger's blogs. I love seeing the everyday reality of family life and the joy of kids - even in people I don't actually know. It makes me think our world is mostly great people! So I am the one who pops up in Liberty Lake reading your blog! dmullin@ptera.net

S and RA Beazer said...

Don't forget to include the Beaz in the tree and his wife.
Love you guys.

The Thompsons said...

Hey...I really didn't mean to scare you!!! But of course you better add me!! I too love checking your blog! kylebryn@comcast.net!

Shellee said...

keep me in your loop!

And, forward me the creepy stuff the show said. I should probably read it and decide for my family if we need to go private.

Lyndsie said...

count us in too! i love your stories...they're guaranteed to make me laugh! :)

lyndsie.field@gmail.com

The Foster Bunch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Foster Bunch said...

Please add us to your list. This is such a great way to stay in touch with you.
Britt
glblfoster@q.com

heidi_eatschuno said...

I would love an invite to the blog. heidi_eatschuno@yahoo.com

Angela said...

Hi Lynsey and Ben! This is Angela McWilliams from the 11th ward. I have to admit that I found your blog a few weeks ago and have been reading it. We are so glad to hear that you are doing well. Caleb is very cute. Can we be added to your safe list? Our email is igrowpotatoes@hotmail.com. Feel free to check out our blog too. We are still in Rexburg but doing well.

Anonymous said...

You've sold me. I'm going private as soon as I get up the energy to actually blog again. In the meantime, thanks for doing all that research and passing it on to the rest of us.